The historical heritage
Il Borro owes its notoriety to several things: first of all, to its architecture and to the conformation of the area where the hamlet is located and then to the important families of the past to which it was historically bound.
The history of Il Borro most likely dates back to Roman times. It is believed that where the hamlet is found today there was originally a stronghold. During medieval times, this area in the Upper Valdarno was a place which witnessed the many clashes that took place between the city of Arezzo and that of Florence.
The first written account of the Castle dates back to the year 1254 when a Milanese nobleman, the Marquis Borro Borri, purchased the property from the Mascagni family.
After years of harsh battles between Guelf Florence and Ghibelline Arezzo who fought for centuries for control of the stronghold, the Florentines conquered Arezzo. Having conquered the Ghibelline city, the Florentines took back all the castles and villas found in the municipality and in the rural area of Arezzo. In 1384 even Il Borro castle fell under Florentine domination and the Castle was returned to the Dal Borro family when the Archduke Ferdinand granted it as a fief to General Alessandro del Borro (October 4, 1644). Thanks to him, the XVI marks the start of the first transformations and extensions of the stronghold which slowly led to today’s context.
In the 18th century, Il Borro and the lands were purchased by the Medici Tornaquinci family who retained ownership until 1823 at which time Il Borro estate was passed over to Count Giuseppe Della Torre Hoffer Valsassina.
In keeping with the fashion of the time, the Hohenlohe family built a stately home of brick and stone right over the ruins of an ancient dwelling. Besides the castle which today sits surrounded by vegetation, the Medici Tornaquinci also erected a small chapel as a sign of their presence at Il Borro.
When it was sold to the Prince Emanuele Filiberto, Duke of Aosta, in 1903, the farm estate was comprised of some 50 farms and covered over 1000 hectares. Duke Amedeo inherited Il Borro from the Savoia Aosta family who had to reconvert the estate as well as all other Tuscan farms due to a period of crisis involving the century old method of sharecropping.
In 1993, Il Borro became the property of the Ferragamo family who fell in love with the wild nature of the area and the history of the estate. Respect for the traditions and the history of the place guided the family as they began major renovations and restoration of the hamlet and the villas.
Local culture and tradition
- Our most competitive rates
- a bottle of wine from Il Borro Cellar
- a special welcome drink